Sunday, July 6, 2014

Nucleus 6

Let's talk about the Nucleus 6. So I can get myself pumped up about it... Two days away

The basics:




There are three types of batteries used with the Nucleus 6: compact rechargeable, standard rechargeable, and disposable batteries. I am offered more to extend longer uses of the batteries with this cochlear implant device. The disposable batteries can last up to 60 hours. The standard batteries can last up to 30 hours while compact batteries can lasts up to 18 hours. To me, that is awesome. I'm pretty excited about that. As you already know, my current cochlear implant device, the Harmony BTE only offers 4-6 hours each but I usually get between 4-5 hours. They are rechargeable also but still. This is a great thing to have! The batteries look like these:


I will also get a remote controller for my device. It looks like this:




I can change volume, sensitivity, bass, treble, and master volume from the remote assistant. I will be able to change between programs. I will be provided up to 4 programs. To figure out the programs that will work for my needs, that will have to wait until I have my cochlear implant turned on in two weeks after I complete surgery. 

Among its new features are the industry's first automated auditory scene classifier, known as "SCAN," which analyzes the soundscape & automatically applies the appropriate filters to optimize hearing performances. For me, I have to constantly mess around with the settings to adapt comfortably when sound environments changed, like at the bar or restaurant, at home around family, or at the coffeeshop with friends while the baristas would grind the coffee or made drinks during conversations. That gets difficult. It drowns out the person's voice! You know it gets pretty loud in there. So that's cool, so I'm looking forward to that new change.

Did I mention it has bluetooth capabilities? I don't know much about that right now but I'm sure I'll find out more about that in a couple weeks. That's awesome too! 

So obviously, the Nucleus 6 has so much to offer for me so I'm looking forward to it. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment